Tuesday, June 7, 2011

List 56


Love: Funny, smart women. In the past week I saw Bridesmaids and read Bossypants and could not have laughed more.




Like: I confess to having the capacity to appreciate a good old fashioned rom com. Particularly when I'm on an airplane. The meet cute, the ridiculous obstacles in the couple's paths, their adorable jobs (running a cupcake store, designing cards), their fabulous clothes and apartments that said job would never actually afford them, the finale where their love is declared publically (often at a stadium of some sorts)...the formula works when done well. But I can't recall seeing a satisfying one since, maybe, Fever Pitch?


Discovery: Perhaps the greatest I've-Had-It-With-Him song ever, Erykah Badu's Tyrone, from 1997, is just as good when done by the decidedly unwomanly (aside from the hair) My Morning Jacket. Side by side comparison here: http://rhymeswithmusic.com/?s=tyrone



Obsession: Frances, young star chef Melissa Perillo's intimate and personal restaurant in the Castro. It is booked out 2 months to the day but worth the trouble and the wait. The dinner was spectacular, especially the chicken liver mousse served with toast spread with Medjool date butter, the best halibut I've ever had in my life - crusted with bits of bacon and served with an English pea and morel ragout, it looked as good as it tasted (alas, I have no picture)- and the apple and date Lumberjack cake with Humphrey Slocombe's Maple Walnut ice cream for dessert.





Complaint: Weinergate. Kristen Shaal's analysis of Weiner, Favre, etc. on The Daily Show's put it well: "the sending photos of your penis craze can be chalked up to the age old misconception that women want more information about your penis."


No comments:

Post a Comment