Tuesday, May 31, 2011

List 55


Love: Midnight in Paris, Woody Allen's latest. Its ruminations on nostalgia - the feeling that you should have been born in an earlier era, and that things were better in the past - definitely struck a chord with me. Owen Wilson proved to be a worthy typical Allen character lead. Marion Cotillard was lovely. And Corey Stoll ran away with every scene as the intense, swaggering Ernest Hemingway. (Bonus factoid: Stoll is bald in real life. Nice work, hairpiece people.)


Like: The Jewish Style Artichoke at Locanda, the new Roman-style restaurant in the Mission, opened by Delfina's Craig and Anne Stoll.(Random coincidence - this is not a Stoll-themed post.)



Discovery: Thomas Doyle's intricate small-scale art pieces bring together two things I love (dioramas and terrariums) to create slightly surreal vignettes. http://www.thomasdoyle.net





Obsession: George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series, which I started to read right before Game of Thrones began to air on HBO. For the past 6 weeks, and 4000+ pages, the four books have been fairly consuming. The series is filled with dozens of rich characters whose lives and machinations play out in an incredibly detailed fictional world that mixes bits of medieval history with supernatural elements. It might sound super D&D but I have never been into that. I swear. Now that I'm done, I'll miss the story, but I'm glad to have my life back. At least until July 12th when Book 5 is due to come out.


Complaint: That I have yet to make it out to Amoeba to pick up Hot Sauce Committee Part Two on vinyl. I love the album art. Digital just won't do.






No comments:

Post a Comment