Wednesday, July 31, 2013

List 99


Love: Erich Pfeifer, whom I had the good fortune to marry twenty years ago today, on July 31st, 1993. I'm kind of in shock that it's been two decades, but in many ways it's equally not surprising at all since it's difficult to remember life before he came into it. We were engaged after six weeks. We just knew. Cut to today and we still know. He's my best friend, a wonderful partner and father to our Stella, and keeps making me laugh. 


Like: Erich's way with a playlist. He's a genius at capturing mood, time and place with his mixes. Erich's been working on one for the anniversary dinner party we're having this weekend with a handful of close friends, and in doing so he turned me onto my new favorite jam, Don't Kiss Me Goodbye by Ultra Orange and Emmanuelle. (It's actually from 2007 but was new to me.) Listen to it here.


Discovery:  An Inverness get away.  For our tenth anniversary, we went to the secluded, cozy Manka's Inverness Lodge.  Ten years later, we're heading to Manka's Fishing Cabin and will be toasting two decades together over dinner at Sir and Star, the new and wildly well-reviewed restaurant from Manka's owners, Margaret Grade and Daniel DeLong, which features dishes like A Neighbor's Quail Plumped with Kale, Nestled in Wild Greens Pilliaged Within Reach and Crab Plucked from Surrounding Seas, Clawing at a Dip of Local Meyer Lemons.
Obsession: The Paris Photo show, which brings together hundreds of galleries from all over the world to a lovely spot in Paris each November.  We last went in 2004, right before I got pregnant with Stella, and have been aching to go back ever since.  This November our return is finally on.  Twenty is supposed to be the china or platinum anniversary gift year, but for us, it will be photography.

Complaint: I had a fleeting thought of engineering a closet makeover for Erich as an Anniversary surprise, but couldn't pull it off.  I would have used Beastie Boy Mike D's Brooklyn Toille wallpaper in the closet, which I think Erich would have loved.  Maybe for 25.

No comments:

Post a Comment