Monday, March 28, 2011

List 46

Love: Miette's Rose Geranium Macaroons. My friend John Q insisted I try one and it was lovely. I instantly wanted to buy a dozen to serve as the finale to a Spring dinner party. Maybe proceeded by this recipe for Asparagus, Leek and Morel Lasagna, baked in individual dishes.


http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Lasagna-with-Asparagus-Leeks-and-Morels-358231

Like: Bar Agricole's Long Rhum Buck with ginger and lime, which tastes as bright as Spring.


Discovery: "I Wish You Love" is an equal parts pretty and sad song about letting someone go. Its lyrics span the seasons, beginning with "I wish you bluebirds in the Spring to give your heart a song to sing..." Keely Smith recorded the original in 1957, but it's been done by loads of people, from Sinatra to Dusty Springfield and a hundred vocalists in between. Rachel Yamagata's 2005 version is a modern take on the standard.




Obsession: Flowering tree branches. I love seeing all the tall metal buckets at flower stands filled with branches dotted with pink, yellow and white flowers this time of year. If it didn't cost an arm and a leg to fill up a vase, I'd want to have a massive branch arrangement in our house every week during Spring.




Complaint: Most Falls I pledge to plant flower bulbs in Winter so come Spring I'll have my own garden from which to cut flowers for the house. And most Springs arrive with my having never gotten around to it. This year, again, my garden is sans tulips.

No comments:

Post a Comment